Let’s Go to the Hop: Liberate Your Art 2015

What a maddening month (so far)! I’m happy to take a moment out of my busy end-of-the-academic-year life to focus on pretty things and happy mail.

For the fourth consecutive year I participated in Kat Sloma’s Liberate Your Art swap.  Again, I sent my art out into the world and have had various expressions of art land in my mailbox in return.

This year I received five of the six postcards that were sent to me.  That’s a little improvement over last year when two postcards went missing. I also received two extras in private swaps.  Here are the postcards I received.

Liberate Your Art 2015:  At Work

Liberate Your Art 2015: Postcards Received

I know this isn’t a very creative or interesting display, but the postcards are “on exhibit” in my “temporary” work environment.  There was an electrical fire in the building that houses my office, so our entire unit is slightly displaced in another building on the basement floor.  Although I can look out (and up) the windows and see beautiful trees all around me, my office walls are bare.  Fortunately, I had the LYA postcards in my craft pouch, so I used them and a couple of photos that I was using as bookmarks to add a bit of color and beauty to the wall I face as I’m working on my laptop.  There’s nothing like a wall of words and art to make me happy all day long!

Let’s take a closer look:

"Summer's Memories (Nellie's Flowes)" by Jane Ross

“Summer’s Memories (Nellie’s Flowes)” by Jane Ross

Jane of Reston, Virginia shares this beautiful reproduction of her mixed media art.  She includes an Australian Aboriginal proverb on the back of the postcard: “Those who lose dreaming are lost.”  She also encourages, “Let your imagination soar”–advice perfectly aligned with the soaring birds in her art.

KnoHerPhotos

“Tiny Tumbleweeds” [my title] by KnoHerPhotos

Jeannette sends greetings from Oregon.  I love these “tiny tumbleweeds” and the shadows they cast on the surface.  Jeannette’s “art starts with her camera.”  Mine too! You can find more of Jeannette’s work beautiful work at KnoHer Photos on either Facebook or Flickr.

"Natural Beauty" [my title] by Cathy

“Natural Beauty” [my title] by Cathy

Cathy hails from Arkansas.  This still life is simply elegant.  She also sends an inspirational quote. “Write it on your heart that every day will be the best day in the year” (Ralph Waldo Emerson).  You can find more of Cathy’s still life photos on her blog, Gramma’s Little Corner.

"Mondrian 2.0: A Tribute to Dutch Painter Piet Mondrian (1872-1944) by Will Conway

“Mondrian 2.0: A Tribute to Dutch Painter Piet Mondrian” (1872-1944) by Will Conway

Will of Dover, New Hampshire sends wishes for a creative and rewarding year of art.  I am delighted to be introduced to another artist.  Mondrian is new to me.  Like many LYA swappers, he included a quote: “All art is autobiographical.  The pearl is the oyster’s autobiography” (Federico Fellini).

"Imminent Downfall," by Kat Sloma

“Imminent Downfall,” by Kat Sloma

My last postcard of the “official swap” came from Kat, our lovely swap organizer.  Needless to say, this tribute to autumn is clearly a favorite.  Kat writes, “When you liberate your art, the world is a better place. Thank you!”  This does little justice to the word art she places on the back of the postcard each year.

So here it is–

"Kat's Postcard Back," LYA 2015 Thank You

“Kat’s Postcard Back,” LYA 2015 Thank You

I took a little liberty and added the texture.  The postcard back is white. You can find out more about Kat’s photography, the swap, and the courses she teaches by visiting her site:  Kat Eye Studio.

And here are the bonus cards.

"Cakers Knitting," by Cakers

“A Knitting Selfie” [my title], by Cakers

My friend Cakers surprised me and sent one of her postcards when she sent her set to Kat.  She writes, “My art is knitting and photography combined.  Knitting is what I do to calm my mind.  Photography is what I do to express my creative side.”  She includes a quote about knitting “Properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled stpirit, and it doesn’t hurt the untroubled spiriti either.”  Elizabeth Zimmerman.  You can see more of Cakers art–both knitting and photography–on her blog, Cakers and Company.

And finally, when I saw Sherry’s postcard on the LYA Facebook page, I immediately fell in love with it. She generously offered a postcard to anyone who wanted one.  I accepted, of course!

"Wonder" by Sherry Harmes, Amook Island Creations

“Wonder” by Sherry Harmes, Amook Island Creations

Sherry writes from Amook Island, a remote island off Kodiak Island, Alaska. Notice how she includes a tiny portion of the map in her mixed media piece.  She admonishes,” Conceive, believe, achieve!”

Thank you to all of the artists whose work now adorn my office wall (I’ll be contacting your shortly).  An especial thanks to Kat for committing so much time and energy to the swap year after year and all the helper-swappers in Oregon who give their time and assist her in getting things organized and ready for mailing.

As usual, I had a difficult time selecting photos.  I had postcards made of six and couldn’t decide which one to eliminate, so I let family and friends decide. Even though it was also a challenge for them, everyone voted (against) the tulip.

"A Tulip for You," Huntsville, Alabama

“A Tulip for You,” Huntsville, Alabama

Here are the postcards I liberated. You may recognize “Abandoned,” “December Rose,” and “Dogwood” from earlier posts.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

As usual I enjoyed the swap and am looking forward to next year.  The inspiring work I receive and the amazing bloggers I encounter through Liberate Your Art push my creative growth.   I find myself experimenting more with different subjects, composition, textures and colors.  Every year, it seems, by the time the swap rolls around, I’ve added new techniques, either in composition, or in post-processing.

In liberating our art, we give ourselves to the world.  But it is an amazing gift that we also give ourselves.  We lose self-consciousness and self-judgment and give ourselves permission to create beauty where we are and as we see it.

I have a few postcards left, including the tulip, so if you’re interested in swapping LYA 2015 postcards, just let me know in the comments or via email.  Also, if you’re interested in my 2012-14 Liberate Your Art posts, you may see them here: LYA 2012; LYA 2013; LYA 2014.

You can find out more about the swap and artists by checking out the Liberate Your Art blog hop.  Let’s go:  Liberate Your Art 2015 Participants and Blog Hop!

27 Comments

1. I would love one of your tulip cards…and I have 1 of my crow cards left if you are interested in swapping! you can contact me by email: gellifun at yahoo.com
    You got some beautiful cards in the swap..and the cards you sent are gorgeous too!

2. Chandra, I really love your photos… and would be happy to swap… Any one of yours will be great, just a hint, I love black and white shots, so you decide :). You can contact me via my blog, looking forward to hearing from you… Best wishes from Brittany, France, happy weekend!
    Louise

• So kind of you…I’ve added you to the list for a black and white postcard. I’ll contact you shortly for address. Thanks for dropping by!

3. Your cards are beautiful, and I love the tulip. Great post, and so nice how you have them all displayed! I would love to swap with you as well, if you still have some left. Hope you get back to your regular office soon Chandra 🙂

• It’s going to be a while before we’re back in our offices, but we’re pretty comfortable where we are. In fact, the admin assts love it here! 🙂 Thanks for dropping by. Yes, I have a few left, and you are on the list. I think I still have your addy from last year. I’ll contact you soon!

4. Your photos and art are soul fulfilling! Your name also brings up so may wonderful memories for me. One of my students early in my career as an educator was name Chandra. We had a great two years together and she changed my life more than I could change hers. That was 30 years ago – and I haven’t connected with her for about 20. Seeing the name brought back so many good feelings.

• Thanks for dropping by and (wow) thanks for the very big compliment. I’m happy “Chandra” was able to conjure beautiful memories for you. I’m not surprised by the impact your student had on your life. We Chandras are like that. 😀 Seriously, I’m a college prof and I know so well the deep impact some of our students can have on our lives. I’m always grateful for such students. Please send me your contact info so I can send you a postcard. Pick your favorite. Hugs to you!

5. What a creative idea to decorate your “new” office with art! The postcards came at the perfect time! Thank you for stopping by my blog and letting me know you received one of my cards! You and I received some of the same ones!

• Yes! They did. I’m surprised they were in my bag. I probably thought I would write the “blog hop” post during a lunch break. That’s the only reason I could think of that they would be in the bag. Perhaps, it was not fortuitous…

6. Love the tulip! Thanks for sharing! Perhaps our postcards will cross in 2016? In the meantime, come and visit me at: http://www.kathrynvwhite.com/blog/2015-liberate-your-art-postcard-swap-so-much-fun Cheers!

• Thanks for dropping by. I checked out your blog. I love it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that your books win too!

7. Laurie

/  April 19, 2015

These pictures are beautiful! I failed this year! I got as far as mailing my postcards to Kat and then My life just took off like a racehorse and hasn’t stopped so I haven’t had time to do anything online about it. I hope you have a good weekend

• Thanks, Laurie! You didn’t fail. You still have time–even if you simply post the pics with artists’ names and a general thank you. If you don’t have time for that, then just share them when you can. We appreciate you and we know how life can be. Sending hugs!

8. wonderful ones that you sent out and received. Love the old car one. Happy LYA!

9. Great post! You received some great cards and your cards are lovely. This is my first year participating. I’d love to trade for one of yours if you still have some left!

• Thanks, Kelly! Thanks for dropping by. I’m glad you joined in. We certainly can trade. I’ll be in touch soon. I just have to get past my busy Sunday!

10. All such wonderful cards sent and received!
    Art mail is the best.
    oxo

11. oucatladymjf26

/  April 19, 2015

Hello, there! This was my 1st year for the swap, and I so enjoyed it! I have loved doing the blog hop, seeing what others received and all the artful ways they display them. If you still have spares, I’d love to swap further–MaryJo Fisher 519 Church St. Logan, OH 43138.
    Thank you for sharing! Have a happy, creative and fulfilling year!

• Happy you joined in this year! Thanks for dropping by. Yes, I still have a few postcards left. I will certainly put one in the mail to you this week. Please send me your email addy so I can send you my address. Have a great (rest of the) week!

12. I love this post and I love your cards. I look forward to following your blog. Thanks for sharing.

13. Hi Chandra, I would love to swap! email me your address and I will send mine in return. janicedarby@yahoo.com

14. Hi Chandra…your tulip postcard made its way to Winnipeg in the extra swap. Thanks very much….It is so beautiful..
    I hope my crow flew down to you….

• Thanks for letting me know and for finding it beautiful! Yes, your crow found me. I just left a message on your blog. Thanks!

1. A Box Full of Nature | Pics and Posts