Microblog Mondays: Permission to Rest

Happy New Year!

Two of my nieces shared a meme from “Quiet Quotes” today–one on Instagram, the other on Facebook. The meme reads, “Raise your hand shamelessly if you have successfully wasted the first day of 2017.”  I raised both hands because I did absolutely nothing on the first day of 2017.

Red-tailed Leopard at the Nashville Zoo

Clouded Leopard at the Nashville Zoo

I was fine with my utter slothfulness until night fell and sleep beckoned.  Then…I started thinking about all the things I could have done.

However, today has been super productive, and as I’m blazing through my to do list, I feel differently.  The “wasted first day of 2017” led to a “successful” second day of 2017.  I accomplished more today than I would have accomplished yesterday and today had I not allowed myself to simply rest.  I work (hard) constantly, often even when I’m on vacation.  I earned the “day off,” and the reality is that all the things that must be done will be done when they need to be done.  I have just about a week left of my winter vacation, and I give myself permission to rest even more if I want to.

What about you?  Do you allow yourself time out–to do nothing–to “be” in your own skin without guilt?

[Note: This year I will be participating in Microblog Mondays.  The idea is to post a short blog every Monday–from one word to eight sentences. This one is a little longer than I intended, but “short” is relative. Right?]

Previous Post

14 Comments

1. Great idea! And I did nothing – well hung out with family all day. And enjoyed every second of my “nothing”

2. Great post! I’ve learned to listen to my body and its needs. If it says rest, then I do it–especially when I can; it’s definitely something that maturity has taught me. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what it would mean to live all aspects of my life through an idea of humanity that wasn’t so fully informed by capitalism. Words like “rest,” “enough,” “eat,” “sleep,” and “play” don’t seem to be indulgences, and I like that. ☺

• Thank you for this comment. I am in complete agreement with you. For the past several months I have been trying to figure out how to stop the particular “work” madness. It seems more and more and more is being demanded of those of us in higher ed. Work piled on work. I’m finding creative ways to build rest into work.

3. Good start! By experience, I have learned that a “stop” is always beneficial… Doing nothing, from time to time, is a great job! 😉

4. I have had to learn to listen to my body, and I do rest when I need it. Lately I have been napping more than usual (short), but I made it through December without my annual cold, so it paid off! 1st day…I watched old movies on TCM. Divine 🙂 (and worked a little) LOL

• Congrats on making it through December without a cold! It is amazing that I made it through because both hubby and son caught some kind of bronchial virus that skipped me altogether. Praise the Lord! I agree. Naps are essential and I do nap when I need to and I napped as much as I could during the winter break. And yes, I’ve learned if I don’t listen to my body, it will “do things” to me.

5. Not only do I allow myself time off (and applaud you in wasting the day), but I throw days like that on the calendar so we have stuff to look forward to. A day to do nothing but laze about, read, and play video games? We all need it from time to time.

• Oh this is such a great idea! I will definitely “plan” some do-nothing days for the whole family because if they’re “doing nothing” with me, I won’t be expected to do anything. Right? 😉

6. We need such wasted days to even out the hard working days, don’t we? 🙂 Happy New Year!

7. While I do have do-nothing days, I have yet to shake the feeling of shame from such days. It’s something I need work on, but it’s hard as a single parent, to ever feel like there is time to rest….

• Hugs to you. Parenting with a hubby (or partner) is hard work, so I know it’s quite challenging for single parents to find time to rest. And you’re right, the hardest part is shaking the guilt. But you need to take the time, so you can be really present for your kid(s).